skip to content, health centers and clinics, search, accessibility statement

Non-Franchise Solid Waste Collection & Transport Permit

Most solid waste in Contra Costa County is collected and transported by companies franchised by local government.

A non-franchised business can also legally offer hauling services in the unincorporated area of the county – but only with a permit from Contra Costa Environmental Health (CCEH).

The Board of Supervisors requires a permit for non-franchised trash haulers to curb illegal dumping and other unsafe, environmentally unfriendly practices.

Haulers with CCEH permits carry adequate insurance, are required to obtain performance bonds, operate vehicles that have been inspected and follow the county rules about collecting and transporting solid waste.

As of March 1, 2018, all non-franchised haulers must have a current permit to collect waste in unincorporated parts of Contra Costa County. Permitted haulers are issued decals for their vehicles.

What is solid waste?
Do I need a permit?
How to Apply
Operating Standards
Permitted Haulers

  • What is solid waste?

    Solid waste includes

    • Household garbage
    • Landscaping waste
    • Construction or demolition debris
    • Mixed or source-separated recyclables
    • Non-hazardous industrial waste
    • Electronic waste and appliances

    For a more detailed description of solid waste, check Contra Costa Ordinance Code Chapter 418-2.

  • Do I need a permit?

    Anyone can dispose of their own household’s solid waste or recycling at approved facilities. Check with your local solid waste authority or the sanitary district responsible for solid waste collection in your area for facility locations and local rules for transporting waste.

    Landscaping and building contractors also may haul solid waste from their work sites directly to approved facilities without permits. Check Ordinance Code Chapter 418-2.008 for more information about exceptions.

    A business that offers collection and transport of solid waste as a paid service usually needs a permit to collect waste in unincorporated parts of Contra Costa County.

  • How to Apply

    Non-franchise refuse hauling businesses must submit a completed application with the required fee and

    • Copies of valid driver’s licenses for all vehicle operators
    • Valid California registration cards for each vehicle

    Permits are valid for one year and must be renewed annually. Permitted vehicles must pass inspection every year.

    Mail or bring the application to Contra Costa Environmental Health, 2120 Diamond Blvd., Suite 100, Concord, CA 94520 or email

    Allow 30 days for review of the application. CCEH will notify the applicant of approval or denial.

    Your application will be reviewed by other agencies, including the Contra Costa Department of Conservation and Development, local solid waste authorities and sanitary districts responsible for regulating solid waste hauling in the unincorporated area.

    If approved, CCEH will schedule a vehicle inspection to ensure compliance with Ordinance Code Chapter 418-2.

    Vehicles that pass will be issued health permit decals that must be affixed to each vehicle so they are readily visible (rear and sides of vehicle).

  • Operating Standards

    Ordinance Code Chapter 418-2 holds non-franchised permit holders to these standards:

    • Waste must go to an approved solid waste or recycling facility.
    • Vehicles must be clearly marked (visible from 50 feet) on both sides with the business name and telephone number.
    • Vehicles must be kept clean and sanitary.
    • Vehicles must be designed to contain all collected waste (no leakage or windblown material).
    • Debris bins or boxes of one cubic yard or larger must be identified with the business name and telephone number.
    • Businesses must keep at least one year of records, including the date and location of each pickup, the type and amount of waste collected, and where it was transported.
    • Submit records quarterly to CCEH.
    • Businesses must file current, valid performance bonds with CCEH in the amount of $20,000.
    • Businesses must maintain a liability insurance policy with limits no less than $1 million per claim and $1 million in the aggregate.

  • Permitted Haulers